November 21, 2013
Throwback Thursday – Originally posted as my daughter’s Song of the Day on 11/10/2009.
Don’t forget to click “Follow” at the bottom right corner of this page to follow my website.
It was easy for me to come up with my Throwback Thursday song today. Earlier this week it was announced that Billy Joel was coming back in January to do a show at Madison Square Garden in NYC!
Within 24 hours, after incredible demand for pre-sale tickets, two more shows were quickly announced. Tickets do not even go on sale to the general public until Saturday morning, but it is clear that all three shows will most certainly be sellouts! This is Billy Joel’s first solo show since 2006 when he performed a record-breaking 12 consecutive sold out shows here in NYC. I can’t wait to get my hands on tickets first thing Saturday morning!
**UPDATE: A 4th show was just added at 10 am this morning!**
To give you an idea of his popularity here in New York, in early October I heard on the radio one morning that Billy Joel had just announced a surprise charity concert in Long Island for the next night. The show sold out in 15 minutes!
Who doesn’t love the Piano Man? He is one of the most beloved and celebrated musicians of all time, and he has a biography filled with remarkable accomplishments. I grew up on his music and when I look at pictures of his album covers, I remember that between my two older sisters and myself, we had almost all of those albums in our home.
Funny story … I remember my oldest sister coming home when she was in high school (she is 5 years older than me) and telling us a story about the song “My Life.” She had a friend who pulled out the song to play for his mother, trying to make a point that it was his life. She listened to the song and said, “That’s nice, honey.” Haha! Lyrics of songs can mean something extremely powerful to some, and to others it is just “a nice song.” Needless to say, his point was not received. 😉
I have played Billy Joel music in our home forever, but I introduced this song, Vienna, to my daughter in 2009 when she was 13 years old. This song just screams her name. The lyrics are incredible and, to this day, she would still describe it as the one song she most relates to herself. Such an amazing song! But, what song of Billy Joel’s isn’t amazing? I play one, and then I want to listen to Piano Man, then Big Shot, then Movin’ Out, then Honesty, then You May Be Right, and then … and then …
See you soon Piano Man!
- Billy Joel adds two Madison Square Garden shows (newsday.com)
- Billy Joel to Play Madison Square Garden Show (longislandpress.com)
- Billy Joel Tickets For His Tour 2014 Available Now at… (prweb.com)
- Billy Joel To Return To Madison Square Garden (jambase.com)
- Billy Joel Books Madison Square Garden Show for January (rollingstone.com)
- Billy Joel Adds 2 More MSG Concerts (longislandpress.com)
- Billy Joel Rings in the New Year in Brooklyn, Tickets on Sale… (prweb.com)
- Billy Joel sets Madison Square Garden show (newsday.com)
- Billy Joel: ‘I Opened up my soul. What else do you want?’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Glee Receives Praise From Billy Joel! Says He’s Happy With His Songs Being Interpreted In Different Ways! (perezhilton.com)